Worker's Compensation Specialist

Worker's Compensation

Worker's Compensation services offered in Union City and Dyersburg, TN

Injuries at work could entitle you to workers’ compensation, a payment to support you while you can’t do your job. If you injure yourself at work, contact the Advanced Orthopedics & Sports Medicine team at their Union City or Dyersburg office in Tennessee. Michael Calfee, MD, and Paxton Sisson, PA-C, have considerable experience helping patients recover from work injuries. For more information about the workers’ compensation service at Advanced Orthopedics & Sports Medicine, call or book an appointment online today.

Worker's Compensation Q&A

What is workers’ compensation?

Workers’ compensation (workers’ comp) is insurance that you can claim if you suffer an injury at work or get sick because of your job. It provides financial support when you’re unable to work or have chronic health problems.

Employers contribute to a central fund to cover workers’ compensation claims, but you don’t need to pay anything toward it. Each US state has a workers’ compensation board that manages claims and payments and mediates any disagreements.

In Tennessee, the Department of Commerce and Insurance oversees workers’ compensation.

Who qualifies for workers’ compensation?

All employees qualify for workers’ compensation. The payments don’t depend on finding who’s at fault, so you can claim workers' compensation regardless of who’s responsible for your illness or injury.

However, there are a couple of exclusions. If you were drunk or under the influence of drugs when the incident occurred, you wouldn’t be able to claim workers’ compensation. Deliberately hurting yourself or someone else also makes you ineligible for workers’ compensation.

What injuries might result in a workers’ compensation claim?

Workers’ compensation injuries take many forms. Some the Advanced Orthopedics & Sports Medicine team sees most often include:

  • Sprains (ligament injuries)
  • Strains (tendon injuries)
  • Fractures
  • Carpal and cubital tunnel syndromes
  • Trigger finger
  • Shoulder injuries
  • Acute lumbar strains
  • Knee injuries

If you sustain such an injury at work, make sure there’s a formal record of the incident, then contact an authorized workers’ compensation doctor.

The Advanced Orthopedics & Sports Medicine team offers same-day appointments for these acute injuries. They understand that industrial injuries require extra attention and dedicate themselves to providing quality care while helping you return to your job as soon as possible.

What treatment might I need for my workers’ compensation injuries?

The treatment you need for your injuries depends on what damage you sustain. Fractures might need setting and immobilizing in a cast. If they’re severe, you might need surgery to repair the bones.

Surgery might also be necessary for torn ligaments, tendons, and cartilage injuries. The surgical team can repair or reconstruct these tissues to restore function and relieve pain. You need to follow a structured physical therapy program for less serious injuries and post-surgical rehabilitation.

To benefit from expert management of workers’ compensation injuries, call Advanced Orthopedics & Sports Medicine today or book an appointment online.